Meatless Meatloaf Vegan, the best you will find and even our meat-lovers enjoyed it.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained but reserve the liquid
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tbsp. liquid smoke
- 1 onion, diced
- Olive oil to cook the onion
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9″ loaf pan with parchment.
- Sauté the onion lightly in oil over medium heat.
- Add Italian seasoning and salt & pepper and cook until translucent but not browned.
- Mix in the vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup, then set aside.
- In a food processor, blend the drained chickpeas until smooth.
- Put it into a large bowl.
- Then do the same with one of the cans of black beans and add to the chickpeas.
- Then pulse the last can of black beans until coarsely chopped and add to the other beans.
- Process the oats until it looks like coarse flour, and add to the beans.
- Then add the cornmeal, liquid smoke about a half cup of chickpea liquid, and onion mixture to the bowl of beans and mix it all together.
- You may need to adjust with more water if it’s too dry.
- I think this is where I underestimated how much liquid was needed because mine came out a bit dry. Mine held together but wasn’t wet.
- So, I suggest adding liquid until it’s more like a paste than a dough.
- Then simply put it into the loaf tin, top with the BBQ sauce, and bake for about 1hr 20min, or until a tester comes out clean.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes- Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 914
- Fat: 4
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 51
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Vegan Chickpea Meatless Meatloaf