A Simple Roasted Tomato & Garlic Sauce served with a bowl of Penne Arrabbiata
How do you make garlic pasta sauce from scratch?
To make spaghetti sauce, cook garlic in butter and olive oil over medium-low heat just until the garlic is soft but not browned. Stir in the parsley or basil and cook for 2 minutes (stirring constantly) until the herbs are limp but still green.
Does roasting tomatoes reduce acidity?
Tomatoes become more acidic as they cook longer, so reducing the cooking time to the least amount possible can help keep the acid level lower. Sauces and other dishes that require long simmering may make this difficult, but it is recommended that you don’t cook tomatoes for longer than 1 ½ hours.
Roasted Tomatoes & Freezing Tips
You can also try another Homemade Tomato Sauce recipe here on the blog.
A simple yet delicious bowl of Penne Arrabbiata with Roasted Tomato & Garlic Sauce.
- Rinse and cut tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Place in a baking dish along with the whole garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper and then pour in the olive oil.
- Roast at 180C / 350F for 25-30 minutes or until the skins have split and tomatoes have shrunk in size. Let it cool.
- Remove the skins and place them in a blender along with all the juices, garlic, and oil from the bottom of the baking dish.
- Blend until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning and store in a jar in the fridge.
- I have used this sauce for the Arrabbiata but I added chili flakes for some heat.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 64
- Fat: 19
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 15
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Roasted Tomato Garlic Sauce
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.