You’ll never need another Banana Loaf recipe in the future!
Banana bread is a type of bread made from mashed bananas. It is often a moist, sweet, cake-like quick bread.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- ½cup maraschino cherries, chopped (optional)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine softened
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla, if you prefer)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a loaf tin with parchment or grease the tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt if using unsalted butter. Gently mix coconut and optional nuts and cherries into flour.
- In a separate bowl, blend the eggs until light and frothy. Add sugar and butter, and beat well. Mix the bananas and extract of your choice into the egg mixture until it reaches an even consistency.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Pour batter into the loaf tin and bake for about 70 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn loaf out onto a rack to cool for a crunchy crust.
- I had some shaved coconut on hand, so sprinkled that over the batter before baking – gave it a nice extra hit of coconut with a bit more crunch.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Corlea Smit Adapted from a few online recipes