My own version of Beef Chop Suey with steamed Jasmine rice
I haven’t made Chinese food in a while and had a piece of beef fillet and decided on Beef Chop Suey which the family finished in no time!
- 500 gr beef fillet (Rump steak also works well) cheaper cuts don’t
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 1 onion (I used red)
- 1/4 red, green, and yellow peppers (you choose)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Snow peas, baby corn, and zucchini (all optional but which I added)
- 100 gr each of water chestnuts and bamboo shoots
- 200 gr bean sprouts
- 2 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- 1 bunch of chopped spring onion for garnishing.
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 dashes of white pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- Thinly slice beef, add bicarbonate of soda and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Marinade meat.
- Slice all vegetables.
- Heat oil in a wok and add onions with a pinch of salt to taste.
- Add peppers and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add water chestnuts and bamboo shoots with salt to taste.
- Stir for one minute and remove.
- Add a little more oil to the wok add bean sprouts stir for 1 minute and remove.
- Add cabbage and carrots.
- Sprinkle a little water around the edges to create a little steam.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir for 2 minutes. Remove.
- Add snow peas, corn, and zucchini.
- Stir for 2 minutes then remove.
- Add beef to wok, without stirring the beef too much, rather try to turn it over with tongs (it’s difficult I know) when beef changes color then stir until cooked.
- Stir in garlic and ginger paste and stir for one minute.
- Make a well in the center of the beef and pour in the sauce and allow to boil then mix beef through.
- Add all the vegetables to the chicken and mix through.
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onion, and serve.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Melanie from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 287
- Sugar: 8.9 g
- Sodium: 1080.3 mg
- Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.7 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 31.5 g
- Cholesterol: 60 mg
Keywords: Beef, Chop Suey
Sure, we do have Chinese Recipes, should you look for more.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.