As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beef Curry with Peas over rice is inexpensive, flavorful, and filling.
- 600 gr stewing beef
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp sliced
- 2-4 green chilies slit
- 1 tbsp garlic/ginger paste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 1 star anise
- 1 finger length cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp jeera powder (divided)
- 2 tsp garam masala (divided
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- 2 tbsp leave masala/curry powder mix
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder/masala mix
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 4 potatoes halved and quartered
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, chopped with stalks, reserve a few leaves for garnishing
Add all seeds to a pot and heat and dry roast till fragrant.
Grind in a coffee grinder.
Heat oil in a pot and add onion and chili and sauté until soft.
Add ground seeds and fry for a few minutes.
Add all the spices (reserving 1 tsp jeera powder and 1 tsp garam masala) and fry another few minutes, adding a splash of boiling water to prevent sticking.
Add beef and coat the meat and add garlic and ginger and tomatoes.
Add the water and cook on medium heat until the meat is tender.
Add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft.
Add the frozen peas, chopped coriander, the reserved jeera, and garam masala and cook a further 10 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Served with Basmati rice.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie Kramar