This is being hailed as the Best Ever Instant Pot Roast with potatoes and carrots and having done a pot roast in the instant pot before this is definitely the best by far.
And a very clever idea is to wrap the veggies in foil so that it doesn’t get mushy with the roast! It was heavenly!
Now get ready for the Best Ever Instant Pot Roast
- 2kg rump roast
- 1½ tsp of kosher salt
- 1½ tsp of seasoned salt
- 2 tsp of black pepper
- ½ tbsp of dried parsley
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of salted butter
- 2 onions, sliced into thick wedges
- 1 tbsp of sliced garlic
- 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 6-8 oz of Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 cup of a dry red wine
- 3 tbsp of cornstarch + 3 tbsp of water to form a slurry (I used Xanthum gum for Keto)
- 1 packet of any gravy flavor (I used knorr Monkey Gland)
- Veggies to be wrapped in foil:
- A small bag of baby carrots
- 500gr baby white potatoes (the best kind for this dish)
- Mix the dry spices in a bowl then put in a plate.
- Roll the roast all over with the dry rub coating the roast all over.
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot and hit “Sauté”.
- Allow the oil to heat up for 3 minutes and then sear the seasoned roast in the oil for about 1-2 mins on all sides. Remove the roast when done searing and set aside on a plate.
- Add in the butter and as it melts, immediately scrape/deglaze the bottom of the pot with a wooden or plastic spoon to remove any remnants of the spices from the roast.
- Then add the onions and cook for 2 minutes then add in the garlic and Worcestershire sauce and stir for another 2-3 minutes while deglazing.
- Place the trivet over the onions with the handles facing upwards and place the roast on top of the trivet, fat-side up along with the mushrooms. Pour the wine and beef stock over everything.
- Lastly, securely wrap the potatoes and carrots in their own foil pouches and place them in the pot on top of the roast. (You might have to double wrap depending on the quality of your foil).
- Secure the lid and then hit “Pressure Cook” for 60 minutes. When done, allow a 15-minute natural release.
- Once the lid comes off, first remove the foil-covered veggies and set aside and then carefully remove the roast using the trivet’s handles and flip it onto a cutting board.
- Allow the roast and veggies to cool a few moments. Go back to the pot, hit Cancel,” and then hit “Sauté” and adjust so it’s on the “More” or “High” setting and bring the sauce to a bubble.
- Unwrap the foiled potatoes and carrots and add/stir them into the sauce. Once the sauce bubbles, add the cornstarch slurry and stir immediately and then add in the gravy packet and stir.
- Allow to bubble for one minute and then turn the pot off. Slice up the pot roast against the grain in strips about 1/4 inch thick (or make thicker cuts if you wish). Serve on a plate or in bowls with some crusty French or Italian bread. Enjoy!
Recipe Credit: Pressure Luck
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie Kramar
We have the best home-made tried and tested Instant Pot dishes available