Beste Pampoenkoekies. This is what we all do with leftover pumpkin, but with a (no not a ‘twist’) difference. These are baked in a muffin pan and served with a delicious Caramel Sauce.
What I love about these, is that my mother taught me to never use water in my pumpkin (boil) because it contains so much of its own water, but to rather cook it very low with just butter and brown sugar (and of course cinnamon). This recipe calls for melted butter and brown sugar which I omitted because I use lots when cooking my pumpkin.
It’s a must-try next time you have leftover pumpkin.
I deliberately cooked extra pumpkin just to try out this recipe, Beste Pampoenkoekies (South African Pumpkin Fritters).
- 500ml cooked pumpkin
- 50ml melted butter
- 50ml brown sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125ml cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top
- 250ml cream
- 125ml sugar
- 50g butter
- 5ml caramel essence
Method for the Fritters:
- Preheat oven to 190 C and grease a muffin pan. (I used a 12 muffin pan).
- I added all the ingredients to a stand mixer and mixed until well combined.
- You can use an electric hand mixer and a large mixing bowl.
- There was no order in the mixing.
- Spoon into muffin pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over.
- Bake for 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Method for the Caramel Sauce:
- Melt butter and sugar, stirring continuously then add cream and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in essence.
- Add cornstarch slurry if you want it thicker. (I didn’t).
- Pour over hot pumpkin cookies as soon as it comes out the oven.
- Let it stand a few minutes to soak.
- I poked mine with toothpicks before pouring the sauce over.
Prepared, tried and tested Melanie Kramar
Amount Per Serving Calories 276Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 72mgSodium 115mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 2gSugar 26gProtein 3g
Please note, I am not a nutritionist. All nutrition information on this blog, EsmeSalon, has been calculated by using an online calculator and is intended for information and guidance purposes only. If the nutrition information is important to you, please be advised that you should consider calculating it yourself, using your preferred tool.
Similar Recipes to Beste Pampoenkoekies (South African Pumpkin Fritters)
Why not take a look and check out Various other Pumpkin Fritter Recipes on the blog. They are so delicious, gooey, rich buttery, and phenomenally drool-worthy and you can thank me later once you tasted not only one but I can assure you that you will scoff down a dozen or more in one sitting.
Hi, have you ever considered to come and join us at our two FB Recipe Groups:
and then we also have our SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes for South African and Ex-pats.
If you’re looking for some eBooks with wonderful recipes, please visit Recipe eBooks for all your eBook needs. Some ideas of what we have available, but you will find more available, so please hop over. Once you purchase a book, it’s an immediate download to your Email Inbox, so no need to wait for the mailman.