Beste Pampoenkoekies. This is what we all do with leftover pumpkin, but with a (no not a ‘twist’) difference. These are baked in a muffin pan and served with a delicious Caramel Sauce.
What I love about these, is that my mother taught me to never use water in my pumpkin (boil) because it contains so much of its own water, but to rather cook it very low with just butter and brown sugar (and of course cinnamon). This recipe calls for melted butter and brown sugar which I omitted because I use lots when cooking my pumpkin.
It’s a must-try next time you have leftover pumpkin.
I deliberately cooked extra pumpkin just to try out this recipe, Beste Pampoenkoekies (South African Pumpkin Fritters).Print
Beste Pampoenkoekies (South African Pumpkin Fritters)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Resting Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Cuisine: South African
- 500ml cooked pumpkin
- 50ml melted butter
- 50ml brown sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125ml cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on top
- 250ml cream
- 125ml sugar
- 50g butter
- 5ml caramel essence
Method for the Fritters:
- Preheat oven to 190 C and grease a muffin pan. (I used a 12 muffin pan).
- I added all the ingredients to a stand mixer and mixed until well combined.
- You can use an electric hand mixer and a large mixing bowl.
- There was no order in the mixing.
- Spoon into muffin pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over.
- Bake for 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Method for the Caramel Sauce:
- Melt butter and sugar, stirring continuously then add cream and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in essence.
- Add cornstarch slurry if you want it thicker. (I didn’t).
- Pour over hot pumpkin cookies as soon as it comes out the oven.
- Let it stand a few minutes to soak.
- I poked mine with toothpicks before pouring the sauce over.
Prepared, tried and tested Melanie Kramar
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 26
- Sodium: 115
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 72
Similar Recipes to Beste Pampoenkoekies (South African Pumpkin Fritters)
Why not take a look and check out Various other Pumpkin Fritter Recipes on the blog? They are so delicious, gooey, rich buttery, and phenomenally drool-worthy and you can thank me later once you tasted not only one but I can assure you that you will scoff down a dozen or more in one sitting.
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I will be on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes directly to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.