I tried a new Black Bean and Quinoa Burger – SO good, you just have to give it a try as well, you will be amazed at the taste.
Black Bean and Quinoa Burger
You will agree that this is a flavorful plant-based burger, packed with lots of protein as well as fiber to keep you full and satisfied.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Resting Time: 12 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 12 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Moderate
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, divided
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (a combo of ketchup & BBQ would work too)
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 3/4 cup of water.
- Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 10-15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt and sauté until onions are softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Place the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add black beans to the bowl and using a potato masher or fork, mash together until a pasty mixture forms.
- Stir in the tomato paste, egg, corn, cilantro, cumin, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa, oats, and oat flour until well-mixed.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal patties, compacting them well with your hands as you form them.
- Place the patties on a baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to eat, preheat the oven to 400 F or heat a griddle to medium-high heat.
- If baking, spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place the patties on the sheet cook for 10-12 minutes until the patties are golden brown and crispy.
- Carefully flip the over and cook another 10 minutes.
- If using a griddle, heat for 4-6 minutes per side or until slightly golden.
- Serve patties on toasted buns with lettuce.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Mona from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs.
- Serving Size: 2 patties
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 1.7 g
- Sodium: 297.4 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.8 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 23.3 mg
Keywords: Black Bean, Quinoa, Burger