As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Black Forest Cake, this week my baking was all for my husband. This one was a labor of love and it was done over 2 days. The flavor of the cherry jelly and chocolate icing improves when it sits.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A crack of pink salt
- 1/2 cup palm oil
- 1/2 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips, melted
- 4 eggs
- In a large mixing bowl sift the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, and eggs.
- Gradually beat the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the melted chocolate chips and mix just until well blended.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake the cake at 200C until a tester comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then carefully turn them out onto wire cooling racks to cool completely.
- 1 packet of cherry jelly
- 200 ml boiling water
- 300 ml fresh cream
- Castor sugar to taste
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp choc spread
- 3 – 5 Tblspn milk
- Maltezers / maraschino cherries / chocolate shavings
- Dissolve the jelly in boiling water and leave it to cool.
- Combine the icing sugar, cocoa, Nutella, and 2 Tblspns milk.
- Add milk to adjust the consistency.
- It should be smooth and spreadable.
- Chantilly cream
- Whisk the cream, sugar, and vanilla essence till firm.
- On each half of the cake, use a spoon and dish the jelly over the cake.
- Allow it to soak into the sponge.
- Refrigerate for 30 mins then spread the choc icing over the bottom cake.
- Close with the top cake, return to the cake pan and refrigerate.
- This helps to maintain the shape of the cake (I refrigerate it overnight).
- After it’s set, remove it from the cake pan and pipe the cream onto the cake.
- Decorate with Maltesers – chocolate shavings – cherries.
Recipe adapted from various sources
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Caashifa Adams Young
5 thoughts on “Black Forest Cake with Cherry Jelly”
Thank you so much. I will pass your note to FB member Caashifa. Do try it
Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
The Recipe Hunter!
Thanks so much 🙂