This classic dessert, Boston Cream Pie, is in fact a cake layered with custard and topped with chocolate glaze, so don’t let the name fool you!
Ingredients for the cream filling:
- ½ cup whipping cream.
- ½ cup of milk.
- 1 tsp vanilla essence.
- 3 egg yolks.
- 3 tbsp. castor sugar.
- 1½ tbsp. corn starch.
- 30g unsalted butter.
- ½ cup whipping cream.
- 120g milk chocolate.
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil.
- 1 tbsp. corn syrup.
- Sift the sugar, cake flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of your mixer.
- Add the butter cubes and using the paddle attachment, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles a crumb texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla essence.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and beat on a low speed till everything comes together, then beat on a high speed until the batter is pale and thick roughly 10 – 15 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a greased 20cm cake pan and pop it into a preheated oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, before turning it out onto a cooling rack and allowing it to cool completely.
- To make the cream filling, heat the cream and the milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix, until the mixture just starts to simmer.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolk, sugar, and corn starch.
- While whisking, slowly pour over the hot milk mixture and whisk till well combined.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and return to the stove.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture becomes thick and glossy.
- Place the butter in a dish with a sieve balanced over it.
- Immediately pour the cream mixture through a sieve and using the back of a spoon, push the mixture through the sieve.
- Stir until the butter has melted.
- Allow to mixture to cool slightly, then place a piece of cling wrap on the surface of the mixture, this prevents skin from forming.
To assembly the cake:
- Cut the cake into two layers, and place one layer down on your cake stand.
- Add the cream filling and evenly spread it over the center.
- Place the second layer on top of the cream mixture.
- Pour the ganache over the top of the cake and using an offset spatula spread the ganache over the top.
- Pop into the fridge to chill till the ganache has set.
Prepared, tried, and tested Bobby Swanson
Copyright © 2022 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.