Boeuf Bourguignon a delicious French stew
Beef bourguignon or bœuf bourguignon, also called beef Burgundy, and bœuf à la Bourguignonne, is a French beef stew braised in red wine, often red Burgundy, and beef stock, typically flavored with carrots, onions, garlic, and a bouquet garni, and garnished with pearl onions, mushrooms, and bacon.
- 1.5kg stewing beef
- Flour for dusting
- 2 tbsp (30ml) butter
- 3 tbsp(45ml) olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 8 bacon rashers diced
- 4 celery sticks chopped
- 6 peeling onions, peeled
- 2 carrots chopped
- Peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup chickpea soak in water before cooking
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 can chopped peeled tomatoes
- Mashed potatoes for serving
- Pour wine into a bowl, add stewing beef, cover and marinate overnight.
- Drain and set liquid aside.
- Pat meat dry and dust in flour and oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry meat in batches until browned and Sautee garlic bacon, celery, onions, and carrots for 3 to 4 minutes set aside.
- Pour wine, tomatoes, and stock into a saucepan and bring to simmer for 10 minutes set aside.
- Add beef and herbs cover and simmer on very low heat for 2 and half hours, chickpea, and cook for another hour.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Prepared, posted, tried, and tested by: Joy Martin Smyth