A flavorful Bolognaise Sauce is more than just a pasta sauce
- 1 T olive oil
- 5 oz bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, crushed or diced
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 T mixed Italian herbs
- 2 T tomato paste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in a large pot, and add onions and bacon. Sauté until onions are soft and bacon browns.
- Add beef and garlic and cook until meat is browned about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, stock cube, herbs and seasoning, and tomato paste.
- Simmer uncovered for at least 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The sauce has a high-fat content.
- Stir in flour to emulsify the fat and cook a further 2 minutes to thicken.
- Serve with your favorite pasta or use in lasagna.
- I usually double the recipe and freeze the leftovers.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Christl Honiball