As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If like me, and too lazy to knead by hand and have a bread machine with a dough cycle, this Bread Machine Hot Cross Buns is for you!
Ingredients For buns
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C butter, softened
- 2 T sugar
- 4 C bread flour, spooned into a measuring cup
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1 t salt
- 1 1/2 t bread machine yeast
- 1 C currants or raisins
- For dough crosses:
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/3 C water
- 2 T sugar
- 1 T water
- Break 2 eggs in a 2-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1 1/3 C.
- Measure carefully, placing egg mixture and remaining bun ingredients except currant/raisins in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Add raisins 10 minutes before the kneading cycle ends or at Raisin/Nut signal. * My machine does not have a signal but it kneads for about 20 minutes, so I add it ten minutes after starting the machine.
- Select Dough/Manual cycle
- When the cycle is finished, remove the dough from the pan and punch it down.
- Grease a 9×13 pan. Divide dough into 3 pieces.
- Divide each piece into 5 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball.
- Place buns in the pan, cover lightly, and let rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Mix the flour and water for the dough crosses and place them into a pastry bag.
- The dough should be soft but not runny.
- Make cross shapes by piping dough onto each row of buns from end to end.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove and cool slightly in the pan.
- Mix sugar and water for glaze and brush tops of buns.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Christl Honiball