Bread Plait with Sesame Seeds, most delicious freshly baked bread out of the oven, the best smell in the kitchen is freshly baked bread
- 500 g Cake flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)
- 5 ml salt (1 tsp)
- 60 ml Sugar (4 tbsp)
- 60 g Margarine (4 tbsp)
- 10 g Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)
- 250 ml Lukewarm water (1 cup)
- 1 Large egg, beaten
- Beaten egg, to brush
- Sesame or Poppy seeds, to sprinkle
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, then rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips.
- Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the lukewarm water and egg together and add to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide in half and roll each piece into a 40 cm (16 inch) strand. Place the strands in the form of an “X” onto the work surface.
- Place the top right strand on the inside of the bottom left strand.
- Take the bottom left and move it horizontally to the top right corner.
- Take the top left strand and place on the inside of the bottom right strand.
- Place the bottom right strand horizontally, at the top left.
- Repeat this process and pinch ends together, to seal.
- Place the plait onto a greased baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg, sprinkle with seeds and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C / 350 °F for 30 – 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Prepared, and Posted by: Bobby Swanson