Bread pudding and Homemade Custard, the best ever as you make it to your own liking and no nasties included
Recipe for bread pudding
- 1 loaf (16 slices) white bread with the crusts removed.
- 500ml full cream milk.
- 2 tsp sugar, you can use more if you want a sweeter bread pudding.
- 8 eggs.
- 3 pieces of cinnamon sticks.
- 2 tsp vanilla essence.
- Fine cinnamon for sprinkling over the top of the bread pudding.
- 3 blobs of butter.
- Lightly grease a dish and set aside.
- Break the bread up into pieces and place in the dish.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs, the milk, sugar and vanilla essence until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour this mixture over the pieces of bread and press down on the bread so that all the pieces are covered with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkled the fine cinnamon over the top, place the cinnamon sticks and blobs of butter on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180degrees till firm which is roughly 30 to 40 minutes, all depending on your oven.
Recipe for homemade custard
- 3 tbsp. custard powder.
- 3 tbsp. sugar.
- 500ml milk.
- Heat milk 440ml in a saucepan, till it starts to simmer.
- While the milk is heating up, in another bowl, mix the 60ml of leftover milk with the custard powder and sugar.
- Once the milk on the stove has started to simmer, add the custard powder mixture, stir well and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy hot with bread pudding.
The bread pudding recipe is a family recipe and the custard recipe I got off the back of the custard powder tin.
Source, baked, and posted by: Bobby Swanson