The Ultimate Mushroom Soup – seriously the best soup ever, you have to try this Brown Butter Mushroom Soup!
- 4 tblspn butter
- 250g mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock or 1 stock cube to 2 cups water
- 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp xantham gum (optional)
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium heat until it begins to brown and turns fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and stir to coat, then saute until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season to taste. In a food processor, blitz the onion and garlic till finely chopped.
- Add the garlic onion mix to the pot and cook for 1 minute. Stir in stock and bring to a simmer till reduced.
- Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add the cream and xanthan gum.
- Stir vigorously to incorporate the gum and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Prepared, tried, and tested by: Caashifa Adams Young