A rich creamy Burmese Chicken Soup (Khowse)
Last night’s dinner: A South African version of the Burmese dish, khow suey, or as I know it, khowse ser, a traditional noodle dish made with coconut milk, that has a soup-like consistency. In South Africa, it is commonly made with chicken This is one of my children’s favorite meals because egg noodles are involved, but also because they get to create their own version of the dish, by adding a variety of condiments/toppings, which is always fun.
The mildly sweet flavor of the coconut milk in the dish, plus the flexibility of creating your own flavor profile, and the varied textures of the toppings, makes khowse ser irresistible. I served it with crispy fried garlic, fried onion, fried cashews, chili flakes, coriander, chopped spring onion, crispy samosa pur/pastry, and lemon and in the authentic Burmese recipe, a boiled egg is often served with it as well.
It’s a quick recipe though the toppings take time to prepare, so if you have the time, do it all. It’s definitely worth the effort.
Burmese Chicken Soup
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger and garlic
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 medium tomato, liquidized
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk (optional)
- 1 tbsp chickpea/chana flour in 1 cup water
- 1 tin coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 pack of egg noodles OR Spaghetti
Fried samoosa pur
Fried onion OR raw chopped red onions
- Sauté the onion with the cinnamon in the oil and ghee.
- Then add the ginger and garlic, spices, and seasoning. (If using chicken, add it in now and cook till almost done.
- Add the tomato and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the chickpea flour in water to the pot and let it boil for a few minutes.
- Lower the temperature and add in the coconut milk.
- If required, add more coconut milk or regular milk to thin down or adjust the flavor.
- Boil the noodles and prepare the toppings.
How to enjoy the Khowse Soup
- Dish into your bowl the amount of pasta you would like.
- Top with as much khowse soup as desired.
- The multiple accompaniments which enhance the texture & flavor are optional.
- Top with chopped onions for pungency.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves for freshness.
- Squeeze with lemon for acidity.
- Last add fried samoosa pur for a crunch
ENJOY THIS TASTY STARTER DISH
Recipe credit: unknown
Prepared, tried, and tested Feriel Sonday
We have an entire category full of different Soup recipes to choose from. So enjoy it.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.