You need to try these South African Buttermilk Yeast Rusks recipe
What is Rusks?
A rusk is a hard, dry biscuit or a twice-baked bread. It is sometimes used as a teether for babies. In some cultures, rusk is made of cake, rather than bread: this is sometimes referred to as cake rusk. In the UK, the name also refers to a wheat-based food additive.
- 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 100 ml butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Lukewarm water
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add yeast and mix well.
- Heat buttermilk until lukewarm and mix with butter.
- Mix buttermilk mixture and eggs with flour mixture.
- If needed, add a bit of water to make a soft dough. ( I added water and the dough was too sticky. I had to add more flour to make it workable.)
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Using a stand mixer, if you have one, is the best way!
- Cover with a damp cloth and proof until doubled in size.
- Roll dough into balls and place close to each other in greased loaf tins.
- Dough balls should be about 2” across.
- I have big 13 x 4 x 4“ loaf tins.
- The dough fills two of those.
- Proof again until dough reaches the top of the tins (about 40 - 60mins).
- Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Break apart and slice each rusk in half before drying in a low oven (180F) for about 6h.
- Or eat warm from the oven with butter.
Prepared, tried, and tested owner, Christl Honiball-Aucamp from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 184Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 20mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 5g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.