You need to try these South African Buttermilk Yeast Rusks recipe
What is Rusks?
A rusk is a hard, dry biscuit or a twice-baked bread. It is sometimes used as a teether for babies. In some cultures, rusk is made of cake, rather than bread: this is sometimes referred to as cake rusk. In the UK, the name also refers to a wheat-based food additive.
Buttermilk Yeast Rusks
I LOVE baking! Baking yeast rusks used to be my one nemesis but I think I’ve got it now.
Use a kitchen scale when baking for best results
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Drying Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 7 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 x 13 x 4 x 4“ loaves 1x
- Category: Recipes
- Cuisine: South African
- 1 kg all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 100 ml butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Lukewarm water
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add yeast and mix well.
- Heat buttermilk until lukewarm and mix with butter.
- Mix buttermilk mixture and eggs with flour mixture.
- If needed, add a bit of water to make a soft dough. ( I added water and the dough was too sticky. I had to add more flour to make it workable.)
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Using a stand mixer, if you have one, is the best way!
- Cover with a damp cloth and proof until doubled in size.
- Roll dough into balls and place close to each other in greased loaf tins.
- Dough balls should be about 2” across.
- I have big 13 x 4 x 4“ loaf tins.
- The dough fills two of those.
- Proof again until dough reaches the top of the tins (about 40 – 60mins).
- Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Break apart and slice each rusk in half before drying in a low oven (180F) for about 6h.
- Or eat warm from the oven with butter.
Prepared, tried, and tested owner, Christl Honiball-Aucamp from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 213
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 20
Keywords: buttermilk rusks with yeast