Bredie is a stew containing meat and a vegetable.
Cabbage Bredie with Beef or mutton
- 1 kg stewing beef or stewing mutton
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 60 ml of oil
- 5ml allspice
- 2ml ground cloves
- Salt to taste
- Spices of your choice for taste. BBQ, steak, and chops, etc.
- 2 tsp garlic, grated
- 1 head of cabbage, rinsed and sliced, but be careful as it should not be too thin
- 6-8 potatoes, peeled and halved
- In a large pot, on medium-high heat add the oil and onions and saute.
- Add the meat and garlic and brown meat well, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the salt, pepper, and spices, (this dish is better a little more pepper than usual) a cup of water and cook on medium heat until meat is almost tender, about 40-50 minutes,depending on the cut of meat, adding a little water as required to prevent burning and make sure to stir occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and fry with the meat.
- Stir to allow cabbage and to brown and cook evenly.
- Add potatoes to the dish and a little water if needed,
- Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Serve with white rice.
Prepared, tried, and tested Caroline du Plessis
Different varieties of Stew to pick and choose from for many hearty and delicious meals. Enjoy
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Hi, have you ever considered to come and join us at our two FB Recipe Groups: