Cabbage Bredie – Bredie is a stew containing meat and a vegetable.
Cabbage Bredie with Beef or mutton
- 1 kg stewing beef or stewing mutton
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 60 ml of oil
- 5ml allspice
- 2ml ground cloves
- Salt to taste
- Spices of your choice for taste. BBQ, steak, and chops, etc.
- 2 tsp garlic, grated
- 1 head of cabbage, rinsed and sliced, but be careful as it should not be too thin
- 6-8 potatoes, peeled and halved
- In a large pot, on medium-high heat add the oil and onions and saute.
- Add the meat and garlic and brown meat well, stirring occasionally.
- Next add the salt, pepper, and spices, (this dish is better a little more pepper than usual) a cup of water and cook on medium heat until meat is almost tender, about 40-50 minutes,depending on the cut of meat, adding a little water as required to prevent burning and make sure to stir occasionally.
- Add the cabbage and fry with the meat.
- Stir to allow cabbage and to brown and cook evenly.
- Add potatoes to the dish and a little water if needed,
- Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Serve with white rice.
Prepared, tried and tested Caroline du Plessis
Different varieties of Stew to pick and choose for many hearty and delicious meals. Enjoy
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare