As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
As promised a dish using Ghee. Its called Chana Dal Khichri – Split Black Chickpea Lentil
When rice is cooked with any lentil, we in India, name it Khichri. It is easy to make a portion of comfort food for us. When not in a mood for cutting and chopping, then we prepare this one-pot meal.
- 1 cup Chana dal
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 tbsp. Onion Slices
- 1 Tsp Garlic chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger Julienned
- 1 Tsp Black peppercorn
- 2 Whole dry red chili
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1-2 Cinnamon stick
- 1 half crushed Black cardamom
- 3-4 Cloves
- 2 tbsp. Clarified Butter (desi ghee)
- 1 Tsp/to taste Salt
- ½ Tsp Turmeric powder (optional)
- 2 cups Water
- Soak Chana dal and rice separately. In the meantime do the chopping. After 15-20 mins. Strain both separately and keep aside.
- Heat pan and pour ghee, when it melts add bay leaf, cumin seeds. Cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorn, cloves, and dry red chili. Stir till the cumin seeds change color and the oil is aromatic. Be careful not to burn these.
- Add garlic, stir till it changes color, put the onion, and fry till translucent. Add ginger and salt.
- Stir for ½ mins then pour daal and stir for 1 min and then add rice. Stir till the moisture dries up.
- Add water. Check the seasoning. Bring to boil then cook covered in a slow fire till rice & daal softens approx. 20 mins.
- If short of time may cook in a pressure cooker also. Do all the above steps in the cooker and give 3 whistles. The rice will be ready to serve.
- Note: This can be cooked without onion and without garlic and it’s easier as no chopping is required.
You can add dry fruits like almonds and cashew nuts.
Prepared, tried, and tested Reena Mukherjee