As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Perfect for a quick and easy weekday meal, Chana Dal with Spinach and Tomato
- 2 cups chana dal, boiled with a tsp turmeric powder until soft, drain and set aside.
- ½ tsp turmeric powder.
- 1½ tsp salt.
- ¼ tsp asafoetida powder.
- ½ tsp mustard seeds.
- ½ tsp jeera seeds.
- 2 dried chilies.
- Curry leaves.
- 1 onion, finely chopped.
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 2 tsp grated ginger.
- 2 tomatoes, grated.
- A handful of roughly chopped spinach.
- 2 tsp masala.
- Heat some oil in a pot.
- Add the Asafoetida powder and give it a stir.
- Add the mustard seeds and wait till the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add the jeera seeds and dry chilies and allow the chilies to darken a little.
- Add the curry leaves, salt and onions, saute until the onions are transparent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and give it a good stir.
- Add the grated tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the dal, spinach, and about 2 cups of water.
- Allow cooking until the spinach starts to wilt.
- Add the turmeric powder, masala, and give it a good stir.
- Carry on cooking till the dals gravy is to your liking.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Bobby Swanson
2 thoughts on “Chana Dal with Spinach and Tomato”
Hope you try it out