An easy Chargrilled Brinjal Salad. It is a healthy side dish you’ll want to serve all summer long.
- 2 brinjals washed and sliced lengthways (skin on)
- 1 red pepper deseeded cut into quarters
- 1 yellow pepper deseeded cut into quarters
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 10 whole cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- Place above ingredients in a flat dish, mix well together coating the brinjals, peppers and tomatoes well.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours in the fridge. Turn occasionally.
In a grilling skillet char grill your brinjals, tomatoes and peppers for a few minutes per side, then set aside to cool.
- Layer brinjals, peppers and tomatoes on the serving dish, cut cucumber slices add sliced gherkins, 3 pickled onions sliced, 5 peppadews and broken pieces of feta cheese.
- Add 1 small red chili and 1 small green Chilli ( optional )
- Slice 1/4 red onion into slices, 2 tbsp chopped parsley.
- In a jug whisk together 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Pinch of sugar. 2 tbsp lemon juice, a pinch of dried thyme, salt and black pepper.
- Throw dressing over salad.
- Serve chilled with ciabatta bread.
Source, prepared and tried and tested by Gail Haselsteiner