A full circle of delicious current Chelsea Buns with lots of cranberries, sultanas, and jam
- 500g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 300 ml milk
- 40g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 egg
- Veg oil for greasing
For the filling
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 orange zest only, grated
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g sultanas
- 100g dried apricot, chopped
- 1 heap tbsp apricot jam
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 orange, zest only grated
- Place the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir thoroughly until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- Warm the milk and butter in a small saucepan until is butter melted and the mixture lukewarm. Pour into the flour mixture add egg and stir thoroughly until the contents of the bowl come together as a soft dough.
- Tip the dough lightly floured surface and knead well for five minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and leave to rise, cover with a damp towel for one hour or until double in size.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle about 30x20cm/12x8in
- Brush the dough over melted butter, evenly sprinkle the orange zest over the buttered surface, followed by sugar cinnamon, and dried fruits.
- Tack down the long side of the dough rectangle nearest you by pressing it down onto the work surface with your thumb. Roll the dough opposite the long side of the dough towards you quite tightly, until the roll is complete and tight. With a sharp knife cut the thick rounds about 4cm/1&3/4inch.
- Grease a deep roasting tin or baking tray thoroughly with butter, place the buns cut side up into greased baking tray leaving about 1cm/1/2 sides of space between each one. Leave to rise for 30 minutes or until double in size
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and let them cool slightly before transferring to the wire rack.
- Melt the jam in a small saucepan with the splash of water until smooth brush the jam over the buns to glaze and allow to cool. Mix together the icing sugar, orange zest, and two tbsp water drizzle over the cooled buns and serve.j
Recipe courtesy of my favorite chef the master baker: Paul Hollywood
Prepared, tried, and tested by AllJoyCooking