Chicken and Mixed Veggies Akni are a classic flavorsome Indian rice dish that you will often find on a Cape Malay table.
- Chicken pieces
- 3 onions chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1½ cup Mcain mixed veggies
- 5 potatoes cut into quarters
- 3 cups Basmati rice
- 2 heaped teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mild Suhana chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam and jeera masala
- 1 teaspoon Packo roasted masala
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic and ginger
- A few cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice.
- Braise onions in oil.
- Add chopped green peppers
- 1½ cup Mcain mixed veggies.
- Add potatoes, chicken, and buttermilk.
- Add all the above spices. Add salt to taste
- When potatoes are almost soft add washed and rinsed raw basmati over the chicken sauce.
- Do not stir it.
- Add boil water over it.
- Add again salt to taste.
- Let the rice simmer on slow heat.
- When done add 100g butter and simmer until butter melted.
- Take a long fork and stir well until no more sauce is in a pot.
- Add garnish dhania and serve with achaar or onion salads and dhay.
Prepared, tried, and tested Feriel Sonday