As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are chicken livers healthy?
Have you ever tried chicken liver? Many may balk at the idea of this unique dish, but the chicken liver is an often overlooked source of healthful, low-calorie nutrition.
- 2 x 250 g punnets chicken livers
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large red chili chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- salt, pepper,
- 2 tsp peri powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- Wash and trim the chicken livers then cut them in half.
- Fry onion and minced garlic till soft.
- Add tomatoes, brown sugar, tomato paste, red chili chopped (or increase if you prefer more heat)
- Add dry white wine, salt, pepper, peri-peri powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, and chopped parsley.
- Simmer for 10 mins then stir in the fresh cream.
- Note: The alternative is to blitz the peri-peri sauce in a blender until a smooth consistency is reached before adding the cream, or can decide to leave the sauce chunky.
- Salt, pepper your chicken livers, add 1 tsp chili powder sauté in olive oil in a frying pan cooking 2 mins per side.
- Toss the peri-peri sauce over the livers.
- Chop more parsley for garnish.
- Serve with rice or Portuguese rolls, ciabatta bread. Enjoy!
Source, prepared and posted by Gail Halsensteiner