A very popular dish around the world, chicken schnitzel with cheese sauce and crispy battered onions
Chicken Schnitzel Ingredients
- 5 chicken breasts flattened with a mallet,
- 5 slices white bread toasted,
- ½ cup flour,
- salt and pepper,
- 1tsp paprika,
- 1tsp dried thyme,
- 3 eggs beaten.
- Dip chicken breast into flour then egg then breadcrumbs on both sides
- Once done – place in the fridge for 10 min
- Repeat flour, egg, breadcrumbs, place in fridge once more for 10 min
- Fry in oil for ½ min each side, just to set crumb then place in an ovenproof dish and bake at 180 for 25-30 min.
- Melt 2 tbl butter in a saucepan over med heat, add 1 tbs flour, mix well
- Whisk in 2 cups warm milk, a little at a time, until the sauce thickened
- Add salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg and ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Stir well until cheese is melted.
- Slice 1 onion finely,
- Dip in ½ cup buttermilk, then into 1 cup flour mixed with 1tsp paprika, salt, pepper, and 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- Put in the fridge for 10 minutes
- Fry in hot oil until crisp – serve with chips.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melenie Govender Pillay