A plate of Chicken Stew is comforting food at its best and the perfect medicine on a cold winter afternoon!
- VOO – Virgin Olive Oil for frying
- 1 large onion – diced, but not too small, it must be chunky.
- 10 pieces of chicken thighs – cleaned
- 3 large potatoes (1 potato cut into very small pieces and the remaining 2 into bite-size pieces)
- ±150-200 g green beans, cut into bite-size portions
- ±150-200 g baby carrots, cut into bite-size portions
- Chicken Spices
- Fry the onions in a large pot, spoon out, and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chicken pieces and fry until nice and brown.
- Add boiling water (I guess about 2-3 cups) and liberally cover the chicken.
- Spice to your liking.
- Add 1 potato (very small pieces) as well as ½ of the fried onions and all the carrots.
- Cook (slow) for at least 1½ to 2 hours until tender.
- Add the remaining veggies and cook for another ½ hour.
- In the interim, cook enough rice (I cooked 2 cups of raw rice).
- I am sure I do not need to tell you how to cook rice.
- Just for interest, I ONLY cook rice in the microwave
- Once all done and ready, serve the stew on a bed of rice and dig in.
Prepared tried and tested by Esme Slabs