A delicious, tasty, and filling Chive and Saffron Chicken with Spinach and Garlic Rice and so aromatic
- 8 x Chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- A handful of chopped chives
- 1½ cups chicken stock infused with a couple of strands of saffron
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chives and saffron strands to finish
- Season chicken pieces. In a large saucepan add oil and seal the chicken well until brown in color for 5 mins.
- Remove chicken from pan reduce heat and add chopped onion, garlic, and chives and fry until tender.
- Add chicken stock and bring to boiling point scraping the bottom of the saucepan for the cooking juices. Adjust seasoning.
- Place chicken in Slow Cooker, pour over the chicken stock, and cook on LOW setting for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken stir in cream and using a stick blender puree the liquid.
- Serve chicken and pour over cream sauce.
- Garnish with chives and saffron strands.
- Serve with spinach & garlic steamed rice.
- * Note when the chicken was removed from the slow cooker I placed it under the grill in the oven for 5 mins for the skin to crisp up.
- Spinach & Garlic Jasmine Rice
- Cook up 1 cup of Jasmine rice according to packet instructions.
- Wash and steam.
- In a frying pan add 1 tbsp butter add 1/2 med red onion finely sliced, saute till tender add 2 tsp minced garlic, and cook a further min.
- Add 2 cups chopped baby spinach and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Add salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Stir through Jasmine rice.
Recipe Credit: Adapted from Slow Cooker Recipes
Prepared, tried, and tested by Gail Haselsteiner