3 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1&14 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup veg oil
1/3 cup coffe at room temp
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
For the chocolate Ganache:
100g dark chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350F and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour 9 inch heart shape cake pan
2. Seperate eggs, place egg whites in one bowl And the yolks in another. Add additional egg whites to the bowl of egg whites.and cover bring to room temperature before using.
3. Meanwhile, whisk or sift together the flour,cocoa powder,baking soda and salt.
4. In a liquid measuring jug whisk together oil,coffee and vanilla extract..
5. In a bowl of electric mixer beat eg yolks and 2/3 cups of sugar, turn mixerin low speed and slowly pour the oil mixture in the egg yolks and beat until combined. Gradually add flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
6. In a seperate clean bowl fitted with whisk attachment beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft form, gradully beat in remaining sugar and beat until stiff form, gently fold into the batter be careful not to deflate the batter.
7. Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes cake is done when pressed and springback.
Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transfering to wire rack.
8. For the chocolate ganache place the chooped chocolatein a medium heatproof bowl, heat cream and butterfor a few minutes bring to the boil, then immediately pour on the chopped chocolate and allow to stand for a few minutes so the chocolate melts. Gently stir until smooth.
9. Place the cake on wire rack with baking sheet at the bottom to catch the drift, pour ganache over the cake and with large spatula spread the ganache. If you have left over ganache you can use it to make chocolate truffles, strain the ganache and remove any crumbs, chill until firm, form into small rounds and roll it in cocoa powder.
Prepared, tried and tested by All joy’s lovely cooking