Here you will find a Chocolate Chiffon Cake which is super-moist, fluffy, airy, and bouncy all at once, and then chocolate, so you WILL love it!
What is a Chiffon Cake?
A chiffon cake is a very light cake made with vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and flavorings. Being made with vegetable oil, instead of a traditional solid fat such as butter or shortening, it is easier to beat air into the batter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup veg oil
- 1/3 cup coffee at room temp
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 100g dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour 9-inch heart-shaped cake pan
- Separate the eggs, place egg whites in one bowl and the yolks in another. Add the additional egg white to the bowl of egg whites. and cover it to ensure it is at room temperature before use.
- Meanwhile, whisk or sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a liquid, measuring jug whisk together oil, coffee, and vanilla extract.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer beat egg yolks and 2/3 cups of sugar, turn the mixer to low speed, and slowly pour the oil mixture into the egg yolks and beat until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate clean bowl fitted with the whisk attachment beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft form, gradually beat in the remaining sugar and beat until stiff form, gently fold into the batter being careful not to deflate the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes cake is done when pressed and sprung back.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring to the wire rack.
- For the chocolate ganache place, the chopped chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl, heat cream, and butter for a few minutes and bring it to a boil, then immediately pour on the chopped chocolate and allow it to stand for a few minutes so the chocolate melts.
- Gently stir until smooth.
- Place the cake on a wire rack with a baking sheet at the bottom to catch the drift, pour ganache over the cake, and with a large spatula spread the ganache.
- If you have leftover ganache you can use it to make chocolate truffles, strain the ganache and remove any crumbs, chill until firm, form it into small rounds, and roll it in cocoa powder.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Joy Martin Smyth
What’s The Difference Between Chiffon Cake and Sponge Cake?
Chiffon cake is a hybrid between a sponge cake and a butter cake. Unlike most sponges, chiffon cake does contain both baking powder and oil; however, like a sponge cake, chiffon cakes are built on a foundation of separated, whipped egg whites and yolks
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!