This nutty cake was one of my favorite, try it
For the cake:
2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1&1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1&3/4 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
Tsp of vanilla extract
1&1/3 cups water
For the meringue:
1 cup hazelnut roughly chopped
4 oonces bittersweet chocolate chopped
1 tbsp cornflour
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup icing sugar
4 egg whites
1). Preheat oven to 350C and butter and floured 9″ round (2″deep) cake pan.
2). Whiskmegg together the flour, cocoa,baking soda and salt set aside.
3). Using electri mixer on medium speed,beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition then vanilla .
4). Add the flour mixture to butter mixture in batches alternating with water, begin and end with flour. Mix just until combined.
5). Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes this is halfway cook
For the meringue:
1. Combine hazelnut, chopped chocolate and cornflour. Set aside.
2. Using whisk attachment whisk egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until mixture is frothy, slowly add sugar beat mixture until stiff peak forms.
3. Gently fold the hazelnut mixture to egg whites
4. Turn out the cake from oven and spread evenly the meringue on top of partially bake cake.
5. Bake for another 25-30 minutes until meringue is lightly brown and crisp.
6. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the sides of the pan . Cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Use a release bottom round cake pan if you have that way it is much easier to release the cake from pan. And when you begin to bake the meringue i suggest to turn the oven to fan, to distribute all the heat and avoid the meringue from browning too much …. Thank you and happy baking !!!
Prepared, tried and tested by https://www.facebook.com/alljoyslovelycooking/