Have you made your Christmas Cake yet? Well you may wish to try this Christmas Fruit Cake with a Twist
- 5 Green tea with Pomegranate tea bags
- 1½ cups boiling water
- 2-3 tbs brandy, depending on taste
- 2 cups Dried baking blend fruit mix
- 1 cup candied peel
- 100g glace cherries – sliced
- 125g butter
- 1¼ cups berry sugar – regular sugar will also work.
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 slightly beaten large eggs
- 100 gr chopped walnuts and or pecan nuts
- Place the tea bags in a pot, pour the boiling water over, and let them steep for at least 10 minutes or more until you have a nice and strong brew.
- Squeeze the bags dry and discard. Now add the fruit to the tea and let them soak.
- Once ready, add the butter, sugar, and peel and boil together for ±15 minutes.
- Let it cool down slightly, and then add and stir in the bicarbonate of soda and set aside to cool down some more.
- Set the oven to 170°C / 350°F.
- Meanwhile, grease and line a 22 cm (round or if you prefer a square) cake tin with parchment paper.
- Once the above mixture has cooled down adequately, add the flour, beaten eggs, and nuts and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the top.
- This year we decided, to make one small 4” round baby fruitcake, as I am the only one at home eating fruit cake, thus do not need the entire recipe.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until risen and firm to the touch. The 4” only took a ½ hour.
- Cool in the tin/s for 10 mins, then turn it out on a wire rack.
- Once cold liberally paint with brandy and then wrap the cake in tin foil. Store in an airtight container.
- Continue to paint the cake every 2-4 days leading up to Christmas with brandy, and re-wrap before finally icing the cake.
- As you will notice, no decorating is done as yet, but decorate to your own preference (with fondant) and you will have a beautiful and festive fruitcake.
Decorated by Corlea Smit
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are super excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.