Christmas Toffee Candy Crack, You won’t find an easier treat to make, anywhere. It’s breakfast cereal, nuts, and some more yummy goodies, and OH SO ADDICTIVE!
I have made this before, but this year I decided to once again change it a bit and added some different goodies to my mixture.
- 200g (½ box) GF Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 225g (½ box) GF Shreddies cereal
- 200g (1 bag) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 100g pecan nuts (or any other nut/s of your liking)
- 100g golden raisins
- 340g (1 bag) Craisins
- 200g gumdrops, optional (you can use any other candy you like)
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside
- 375 g butter (3 sticks)
- 1½ cups demerara sugar (other sugar will also work, but I love the caramel taste of demerara)
- 500 ml (2 cups) golden corn syrup
I also opted to make the syrup in the microwave.
- In a large microwave bowl, add all the syrup ingredients.
- Cook on high for 2 minutes, mix and then cook a further 3 minutes and mix again.
- At this point, the butter and sugar should be melted. If not, give it a good mix and whisk until all is dissolved.
- Return the bowl to the microwave for 2 minutes at a time for a total of 8 minutes.
Take out after each 2-minute increment, mix and whisk a little.
- Cook syrup ingredients to the “softball” stage.
- You may need more or even less than 8 minutes, but it will depend on the strength of your microwave.
- Toss the dry ingredients in a very large tray with a high rim lined with parchment paper and mix properly.
- Pour the syrup evenly over the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Be careful as the syrup will be boiling hot, so use a wooden spoon to mix.
- Make sure that you have everything nicely covered in that oh-so-yummy and gooey sticky syrup.
- Once done, you can press it down with the palm of your hands in the pan, and once cold and set (not sticky), break or cut into bite-size chunks.
- The other option would be to give it a stir from time to time and let it form clumps on its own. You decide what you wish to do.
- Store in an airtight container.
- This is perfect for an edible Christmas goodie bag.
Prepared, tried, and tested Esme Slabs