I prepared a Classic Indian Sugar Beans Curry meal of sugar beans (Roman/Cranberry) curry to go with Roti
Wondering why National Bean Day is held on January 6? That’s the same day as the famous geneticist, Gregor Mendel, died in 1884. Mendel used bean plants and pea plants to develop theories on genetics in plants. Green, red, kidney, lima, or soy are just a few of the different kinds of beans recognized on National Bean Day on January 6th.
A bean is the seed of one of several genera of the flowering plant family Fabaceae, which are used as vegetables for human or animal food. They can be cooked in many different ways, including boiling, frying, and baking, and are used in many traditional dishes throughout the world.
Recipes you should check out
Classic Indian Sugar Beans Curry
I (Rochelle) visited my local desi store and purchased Atta (whole-wheat roti flour) and ghee (clarified butter). I prepared a classic meal of sugar beans (Roman/cranberry) curry to go with it.
- Prep Time: 12 hours
- Bean Curry Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 13 hours
- Yield: 4 portions 1x
- Category: Indian Recipes
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: DiabeticDiet
- 2 cups Sugar Beans/Roman/Cranberry Beans
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger & Garlic
- 2–3 Tbsp. Masala/ Curry Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 2–3 Curry Leaves
- 2 Potatoes (cut into quarters)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander (garnish)
- 2 cups Flour/Atta
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Butter/Ghee
- Rapidly boiling Water
- Flour for dusting
Sugar Bean Curry
- Soak dried beans overnight then boil until soft.
- Do not drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onion, and cook till soft.
- Add in ginger & garlic, curry leaves, tomato, spices, and masala then cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in potatoes, salt, and about 1/2 cup of water from the boiled beans at a time until the potatoes are tender.
- Then add in the beans and allow it to simmer till the gravy has thickened.
- Garnish and serve with roti or rice.
- In a bowl, add the flour and salt.
- Rub in the butter.
- Pour in the boiling water and mix well to form a soft dough.
- Turn over onto floured counter and knead until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Break of (golf ball-sized) pieces of dough.
- Flatten and dip in flour.
- Roll out into circles on a lightly floured surface.
- Toast in a non-stick pan/Thawa.
- When brown spots appear on the bottom, flip over.
- Keep covered to remain soft.
Prepared, tried, and tested Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes- Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 1085
- Sugar: 109
- Sodium: 1107
- Fat: 16
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 221
- Fiber: 12
- Protein: 20
- Cholesterol: 28
Keywords: Sugar Beans Curry
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!