I prepared a Classic Indian Sugar Beans Curry meal of sugar beans (Roman/Cranberry) curry to go with Roti
Wondering why National Bean Day is held on January 6? That’s the same day as the famous geneticist, Gregor Mendel, died in 1884. Mendel used bean plants and pea plants to develop theories on genetics in plants. Green, red, kidney, lima, or soy are just a few of the different kinds of beans recognized on National Bean Day on January 6th.
A bean is the seed of one of several genera of the flowering plant family Fabaceae, which are used as vegetables for human or animal food. They can be cooked in many different ways, including boiling, frying, and baking, and are used in many traditional dishes throughout the world.
- 2 Cups Sugar Beans/Roman/Cranberry Beans
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 Tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp. Ground Ginger & Garlic
- 2-3 Tbsp. Masala/ Curry Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 2-3 Curry Leaves
- 2 Potatoes (cut into quarters)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander (garnish)
- 2 Cups Flour/Atta
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Butter/Ghee
- Rapidly boiling Water
- Flour for dusting
Sugar Bean Curry
- Soak dried beans overnight then boil until soft.
- Do not drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onion, and cook till soft.
- Add in ginger & garlic, curry leaves, tomato, spices, and masala then cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in potatoes, salt, and about 1/2 cup of water from the boiled beans at a time until the potatoes are tender.
- Then add in the beans and allow it to simmer till the gravy has thickened.
- Garnish and serve with roti or rice.
- In a bowl, add the flour and salt.
- Rub in the butter.
- Pour in the boiling water and mix well to form a soft dough.
- Turn over onto floured counter and knead until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Break of (golf ball-sized) pieces of dough.
- Flatten and dip in flour.
- Roll out into circles on a lightly floured surface.
- Toast in a non-stick pan/Thawa.
- When brown spots appear on the bottom, flip over.
- Keep covered to remain soft.
Prepared, tried, and tested Rochelle from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes- Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 1085Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 28mgSodium 1107mgCarbohydrates 221gFiber 12gSugar 109gProtein 20g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.
Recipes you should check out
Copyright © 2022 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.