A Pina Colada Cake loaded with lots of pineapple and coconut flavor! Easy and delicious and perfect as a summer treat!
Origin of Piña colada
The piña colada “pineapple”, and colada, “strained”) is a cocktail made with rum, cream of coconut or coconut milk, and pineapple juice, usually served either blended or shaken with ice. It may be garnished with either a pineapple wedge, maraschino cherry, or both. There are two versions of the drink, both originating in Puerto Rico.
Today we share with you a fabulously moist and flavorful Piña Colada Cake which will WOW all your guests.Print
Look at this fabulously moist and flavorful Piña Colada Cake! Your friends will be in awe of this moreish and easy to prepare treat.
- The original recipe uses fresh pineapple, which is pan-fried in butter.
- I skipped all that because I’m much too lazy, and went straight for the canned pineapple bits (bonus: I thickened the drained juice with gelatin and yogurt to make a second delicious dessert).
- I also had only enough pineapple for half the original recipe.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, melt butter.
- Mix with egg, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet, and mix in the pineapple and coconut.
- Since this makes a small cake, I baked it in a little loaf pan – the original (double this size) fits in a round cake pan.
- It doesn’t rise much, but it’s perfectly dense and juicy and delicious.
- Bake until cake is browned, 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer the cake once done to a wire rack to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the cake upside down onto a plate to remove the pan and then flip back again and return to rack to cool completely.
- Can be served with icing sugar over top, or like mine with a bit of cream.
Prepared, tried, and tested Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes From Home Chefs
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 133
- Fat: 10
- Saturated Fat: 7
- Unsaturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 53
Keywords: pineapple cake