Coconut Squares are one of my grandmother’s recipes that I always asked for and was never given. When I got married, she asked what I wanted – this was one of those. Make it as a cake or an individual biscuit/cakes
- 125g butter (1/4lb)
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp almond and 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- Cream butter with castor sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time.
- Add essence.
- Sift flour & baking powder and add to the above mixture alternately with the milk. (The mixture is like a soft dough – not easy to spread).
- Spread on a flat buttered (I use Spray and Cook) biscuit tin.
- On top spread a thin layer of plum jam (I prefer apricot but any smooth jam would do).
Place the following topping on top of the jam:
- 1 cup dedicated coconut, 1 cup sugar, and 3 egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff, then beat in the sugar gradually and lastly stir in the coconut, with a metal spoon.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the jam.
- Bake in an oven at 180 (350) degrees till the top is dry – about 20 – 25 mins depending on your oven.
- Cut into squares whilst hot and carefully take out of the tin, placing onto a cooler.
When cold, put in a tin with greaseproof paper between the layers.
Prepared, tried, and tested Hannah Frank Witt
Coconut treats for all the try at home in your own kitchen, as tried and tested by friends from The Recipe Hunter Facebook Group
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are super excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.
Copyright © 2023 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.