These little treats, Coconut Thins, are ultra-thin, crispy crunchy, and of course sweet!
- 1/4 cup or 55 g butter
- 1/3 cup or 55 g demerara / Light Brown sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons golden or corn syrup ( I used Illovo traditional syrup)
- 6 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Shredded Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180C ( fan assist 160 C )
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Add butter, sugar, and syrup into a small, heavy-based pan.
- Heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. This will take about 7 – 8 minutes over low heat.
- Don’t let the mixture boil as it may crystalize.
- Leave the mixture to cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes, then sieve in the flour.
- Pour in the lemon juice and stir to mix well.
- Drop four teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto each of the prepared baking trays to make neat circles, about 10 cm apart then sprinkle a small amount of coconut onto each drop.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, ( I found 10 mins was sufficient ) or until the mixture is well spread out, looks lacy and is a dark golden color.
- Once baked, quickly remove from the oven and sprinkle a very small amount of coconut over the cookies whilst they are still very hot. Leave them on the baking tray until they firm up and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- When they are completely cool, they will be brittle and can break easily, so be gentle with them. ***
- ***Note: the dough becomes like putty after I baked the first batch. Have a cup of boiling water handy and dip your spoon into hot water to make it into a spreadable circle.
Source: Love foodies recipe
Prepared, tried and tested, and Baked by Gail Haselsteiner