115g/ 1/2 cup of sugar
15g fresh mint leaves
30 ml coffe liqueur
1 egg white
Sprigs of mint to decorate
1. Put the sugar in a large heavy-based saucepan with water and heat gently until sugar dissolved, stirring occasionally bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, add the mint leaves, stir and leave to cool. Strain into a jug and stir in the liqueur.
3. Cut a thin slice from the base of each lemon so they will stand upright,being careful not to cut through the pith. Cut the tops off the lemons and keep the lids. Srape out the lemon flesh and squeeze into the mint and coffee syrup.
4. Pour into a freezeproof bowl or container for 3 hours . Whisk to break down the ice crystals, then freeze for 1 more hour. Then whisk the egg white until stiff, then whisk into the ice. Scoop into the lemon shells and replace the lids.
5. Place upright on tray or plate and freeze for 2 hours until solid.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Joy Martin Smyth – All joy’s lovely cooking