As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
An outstandingly beautiful and tasty Coffee Birthday Cake to bake the next time you need to WOW a friend. This is super easy and tasty.
Origin of a Birthday Cake
It is believed that the first actual birthday cake was made in Germany in the Middle Ages. The Germans would celebrate children’s birthdays with cake, calling the celebration Kinderfest. Cakes originally were a coarse, bread-like product, and later became a much sweeter version, called Geburtstagorten.
Why do we eat cake on our birthdays?
We’ve got the Egyptians to thank for the tradition, the Greeks for the cake and the Germans for the parties! Read here for the full story on why we eat cake on our birthdayPrint
Moist Coffee Birthday Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Decorating Time: 1 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 3 x 8″ layers or 2 x 9″ layers with 12 slices 1x
- Category: Cake, Cupcakes, Cookies and Tarts
An easy step-by-step moist coffee and the most spectacular and yummy birthday cake which will wow anyone.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 2 x 9″ cake tins or 3 x 8″ ones for thinner layers.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then mix in the rest of the ingredients except the coffee.
- Add coffee last and combine.
- Bake 35-40 mins or until the skewer comes out clean.
- I decorated it with store-bought icing that I colored, but I won't make that mistake again – it was way too sweet and overpowered the cake, especially since I made 3 thin layers of cake with icing between and around it all.
- Next time I'll make buttercream or butter & cream cheese icing.
- I topped it with store-bought macaroons, dark and milk chocolates, and fresh flowers.
- I'm a novice at creating clean icing lines, but I'll keep practicing!
Source: adapted from various recipes over the years.
Prepared, tried, and tested by the owner, Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 26
- Sodium: 435
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Unsaturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 43
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 33
Keywords: coffee cake
4 thoughts on “Moist Coffee Birthday Cake”
Esme, what kind of oil would you recommend for this cake?
I normally stock; olive, sunflower and coconut. And I actually have rapeseed that I don’t use. (My husband bought it for something)
Hi Gloria. This is one my daughter made, and my guess would be that she used regular sunflower oil, but I am sure that olive oil will also work well. I use both in cake depending on what I have available. Please let me know how it turned out once you made it. Would love to hear from you.
The Egyptians have good taste I say. Pinned for when the occasion arises.
Thank you so much for the pin Ellen. Hope you will enjoy it