An outstandingly beautiful and tasty Coffee Birthday Cake to bake the next time you need to WOW a friend. This is super easy and tasty.
Origin of a Birthday Cake
It is believed that the first actual birthday cake was made in Germany in the Middle Ages. The Germans would celebrate children’s birthdays with cake, calling the celebration Kinderfest. Cakes originally were a coarse, bread-like product, and later became a much sweeter version, called Geburtstagorten.
Why do we eat cake on our birthdays?
We’ve got the Egyptians to thank for the tradition, the Greeks for the cake and the Germans for the parties! Read here for the full story on why we eat cake on our birthday
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coffee
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 2 x 9" cake tins or 3 x 8" ones for thinner layers.
- Sift dry ingredients together, then mix in the rest of the ingredients except the coffee.
- Add coffee last and combine.
- Bake 35-40 mins or until the skewer comes out clean.
- I decorated it with store-bought icing that I colored, but I won't make that mistake again - it was way too sweet and overpowered the cake, especially since I made 3 thin layers of cake with icing between and around it all.
- Next time I'll make buttercream or butter & cream cheese icing.
- I topped it with store-bought macaroons, dark and milk chocolates, and fresh flowers.
- I'm a novice at creating clean icing lines, but I'll keep practicing!
Source: adapted from various recipes over the years.
Prepared, tried, and tested by the owner, Corlea Smit from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SATasty Recipes - Saffas Daily Recipes
Tried this recipe? Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
I hope you will have a go at this one and when you tested and made this recipe, please will you be so kind as to visit the post and give it a rating and review, please and thank you. You can also share it on Instagram and mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Amount Per Serving Calories 291Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 33mgSodium 435mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 5g
EsmeSalon provides approximate nutrition information for your convenience and as a courtesy only. Please note that all nutrition data is congregated by online calculators. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe, and we strive to keep the information as accurate as possible but can not guarantee or provide any assurances regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own estimates based on the ingredients used, and by using your own and preferred nutrition calculator. The author(s) of EsmeSalon are not dietitians or nutritionists. Any recommendations shall not be construed as medical or nutritional advice. You are fully responsible for any actions you take and any consequences that occur because of anything you read on this website. The website or content herein is not intended to cure, prevent, diagnose, or treat any disease. Please consult your health care provider regarding any health-related decisions.