As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Confectioners Custard Cups
Milk Tart (also known as Melktert) is a traditional South African dessert. The crust is a soft, cakey crust topped with cinnamon-infused milk custard, and can also be called Confectioners Custard Cups.
- 500 ml milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 50g butter
- 2ml salt
- 30ml cake flour
- 30ml maizena – Cornflour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Boil milk, sugar, butter, and salt.
- Mix the flour and maizena into a paste with a little water.
- Separate the eggs, add the yolks to the flour paste, and beat the whites stiff but not dry
- Add the flour paste to the milk and stir till it thickens then remove from heat.
- Fold in the whites and leave it to cool, add vanilla essence, and mix.
- 250g butter
- 100g(125ml or 1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tblsp oil
- 400g(3 cups) cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Cream the butter well
- Add the sugar and beat well and then add the oil and continue to mix
- Then add the eggs and beat until just mixed
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and make a soft biscuits dough
- Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes
- Roll it out not too thin or thick then cut it out with a big scone cutter and press it into prepared muffin pans and bake it at 180°C
- For 10-15 minutes.
- Pipe or spoon the custard into the cold cases and sprinkle fine cinnamon over it.
Prepared, tried, and tested Feriel Sonday
4 thoughts on “Confectioners Custard Cups”
Looks good. I think I will try making them.
Hi Darlene – It’s easy but super delicious and a typical South African treat. Hope you do get time to make and enjoy it with a nice cup of tea or coffee
This sounds very yummy.
Thanks Robbie. I would love one now with my morning coffee