Made these Crunchies twice in the past 2 weeks, can’t stop eating them, totally delish and reminds me of SA.
- 4 cups of regular oats
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Vegetable or canola oil – spray
- Set oven rack in middle and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray 10 x 15 pan with oil spray
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients except baking soda and mix well.
- Melt butter and syrup in a microwave, allowing cooling for 5 minutes.
- Stir baking soda into milk and dissolve completely
- Add the cooled butter mix and milk mix to the dry ingredients and mix very well with a spoon or easier with hands
- Distribute evenly on a baking tray and press down well, push down corners that come up.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown, and rotate the pan after 16-18 minutes. Keep an eye, if browning too quickly covers loosely with foil and or turn the oven down to 300 degrees F for the last 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 10-12 minutes. Cut while warm into squares.
- The longer you bake, the more crunchy they will get. If you like them chewy bake for less time – 25 minutes.
- Cut the foil to fit the pan before you put it in the oven so you are prepared. Remove from oven to rotate and cover keeping the oven door closed so the temperature doesn’t go down.
- If necessary, place on top of another baking tray to stop the bottom from browning too quickly.
- It’s not recommended, do not use quick-cooking oats.
- Use Lyle’s golden syrup
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Tried and Tested and Posted by: Belinda Epstein Assin