As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Delicious and outstanding Swedish Cured Salmon (Gravadlax) to be enjoyed at home
Gravlax or graved salmon is a Nordic dish consisting of salmon that is cured using a mix of salt and sugar, and either dill or spruce twigs placed on top, and may occasionally be cold-smoked afterward
- Equal quantities of fresh Norwegian salmon pieces ( 400 g ),
- 400 g white sugar,
- 400 g coarse salt.
- Add 1/4 cup Brandy (optional )
- 1/2 cup lemon juice.
- Zest of 1/2 lemon.
- Pack the fish pieces with coarse salt and sugar, and add brandy and lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Cover with a lid and place in the fridge for 1 and 1/2 days to cure.
- Turning occasionally.
- Wash fish well and dry in paper towels.
- Fish must be firm. Spread a layer of prepared mustard over fish pieces add chopped dill (a handful ) crack of black pepper.
- Slice thin slivers of salmon and serve with horseradish sauce or creme fraiche smoothed, add chopped chili and 1 clove of minced garlic.
- Garnish with rocket and baby tomatoes radishes and cucumber balls.
- Lemon wedges, baby spring onions.
- Croutons: Take a bread roll and slice it into thin rings.
- Toast with a little olive oil on a griddle. Serve with fish.
Tried and Tested and Posted: Gail Haselsteiner