An easy and quick Date & Nut Loaf, so delicious and yummy
An easy and quick date nut loaf, so delicious and yummy!
- 250gr dates
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml boiling water
- 115gr butter/margarine
- 100gr sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 275gr cake flour
- 10ml baking powder
- 2ml salt.
- 150gr roughly ground almonds (optional)
- Loosen the dates and remove the stones if any (please check!)
- Sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the boiling water over the dates. Leave for a while to cool and soften.
- Preheat the oven to 180deg Celcius.
- Grease a loaf pan with a volume of 1.5 liters. (please check the size of your pan).
- Line with wax, parchment, and brown paper.
- Cream the butter/margarine and sugar
- Beat in the eggs one by one.
- Stir in the vanilla and date mixture.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir this into the date mixture.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for about 1&1/4 hours until done – test with a skewer, ready when it returns clean.
- Turn out onto a cooler, remove the paper, and leave to cool.
- I did:
- After establishing the volume of my pans, I found they held only 1 liter each.
- I, therefore, doubled up on the recipe and baked 3 loaves at the same time as I have a fan-forced oven.
- Now I am able to give one to my young neighbors, freeze one, leaving Beloved and I the enjoyment of the third loaf.
- This recipe is one I have often used. It comes from one of my favorite books “Annette Human ALL-COLOUR COOKBOOK”.
- It was launched in 1994 and I bought my copy from a door-to-door salesman who fortunately for me, found me behind my desk when he popped in. I remember buying the book, more for his sake than mine; it was a hot day and he appeared to be battling to sell his load. His face, when I said I’d buy one, lit up like a chandelier and he bounced out into the hard world, encouraged.
Prepared by Dee