How to soften a bag of stubborn pears and create some Dee-lightful Pears to enjoy
- 1.5kg pack of pears
- 400 ml cold Rooibos Tea or tea of choice, not herbal.
- OR water
- 250ml raisins
- 250ml dates, stoned
- 2 large cinnamon sticks, break in half
- 5ml whole pimento
- Four/five cardamom pods
- Two/three Star anise
- Peel pears, leave stalk in situ
- Arrange in a saucepan large enough to accommodate pears upright.
- Arrange the raisins, dates, and spices between the fruit.
- Pour in the liquid of choice
- (I use thick-bottomed stainless steel pots which retain heat)
- Heat slowly until liquid boils. Turn off the heat and cover the pot with a thick towel to prevent heat loss; the pears will continue to cook.
- Ready when a toothpick can pierce with some effort.
- Do not overcook.
- Serve as it is with the cooking liquid or cream.
- Delicious hot or cold.
Prepared by Dee