Winter, spring, summer, or fall, a Delicious and Hearty Split Pea and Ham Soup have just got to be the favorite of them all.
Even if it’s not winter, this soup is enjoyed all year round at home. Made in the pressure cooker, its ingredients are simple and the results are very satisfying. The option of adding potatoes and carrots is entirely up to you, but we love it.
- 1.5 kg smoked ham hock/Eisbein
- 1 packet of split peas
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 chicken stockpot
- 10 allspice berries crushed
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 potatoes cubed
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- Salt, at your discretion, only if needed
- Add split peas to the pressure cooker pot.
- Cover with water and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Discard the water and then rinse the peas.
- (You can skip this step I just found that if you don’t rinse the first boil the soup becomes very stodgy).
- Add the ham hock, stockpot, oregano, pepper, allspice berries, and bay leaves.
- Fill the pot with fresh water and cook on high for 1-1 ½ hours (depending on the size of the hock).
- Now’s the time to check for salt.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and cook on high for another hour.
- You can check sooner, remove the meat from the bone and put it back into the pot, and use an immersion blender to blend potatoes and carrots or leave it like I do until everything falls off the bone.
- All you have to do is take the bone out of the pot, and you will be left with a bit of crunch in the veggies.
- You may even have to top it up with more boiling water.
- Discard bay leaves.
Prepared, tried, and tested Melanie
Oh yummy we have even more Delicious and Hearty Split Pea and Ham Soup to try out
Thank you for visiting and checking out this recipe
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I will be looking for your amazing recreations, and I can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!
We happily share our awesome recipes and are excited to sprinkle some love by sharing our posts at these awesome Linkup Parties.
Copyright © 2024 esmesalon.com – All rights reserved.