Did you know that dried fruit makes the best and most Delicious fruitcake the perfect winter treat
You have no choice, you need to try this.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 2½ cups cake fruit mix, Safari
- 12 red cherries, optional
- 170g butter
- 2/3 cup castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- ½ cup milk
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- Cream butter and sugar well and beat in egg one at a time
- Add lemon and vanilla essence.
- Sift dry ingredients and coat mixed fruit well with the flour mixture.
- Stir in the fruit mixture with the cream mixture.
- Alternatively, add the milk.
- Mix thoroughly, the mixture should just drop off the spoon.
- Use round or loaf tins and grease well.
- Decorate with chopped almonds or pecan.
- Bake at 160C for about 1 hour till a tester comes out clean
- I used 500 g of special fruit cake mix and bake it in a loaf pan for 90 min in a Thermofan Oven.
Recipe Credit: Rashida for sharing her awesome fruitcake recipe.
Have you ever tried to make your very own delicious fruitcake?
At their best, fruitcakes are a simple mixture of candied fruits, nuts, and just enough wonderful rich and good batter to hold them together. The key to the best and most awesome fruitcakes is allowing enough time for the flavors to intermingle, or “ripen”, before and after baking.
Left to age, homemade tried and tested fruitcakes develop wonderfully rich, complex flavors. Some bakers begin soaking fruit in rum many months in advance.
Prepared, tried, and tested Feriel Sonday
Fruit Cake for the winter or Christmas, we have you covered
We invite you to come and join us on Facebook:
Thanks for stopping by
As always, if you make this recipe please leave me a comment, rate the recipe, and tag me @_esmesalon on Instagram so I can feature you. I love seeing all your photos of my recipe recreations!
Let’s keep in touch, so please sign up for my newsletter to get delicious homemade tried and tested recipes delivered to your inbox. And don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, & Twitter as I would love to connect with you there!
If you require a wonderfully tried and tested recipe book for yourself, or as a gift, please visit the shop and look at all those excellent Recipe eBooks.