Experience the perfect blend of flavors with our Delicious Roasted Butternut Salad Vegan Pearl Couscous — nutty, nutritious, and nosh-worthy.
Learn more about Couscous and Is Couscous Healthy? Top 5 Health and Nutrition Benefits
Delicious Roasted Butternut Salad Vegan Pearl Couscous
Indulge in the delightful flavors of our Roasted Butternut Salad Vegan Pearl Couscous! It’s packed with nutritious ingredients and will keep you satisfied yet craving more. Don’t miss out on this healthy and delicious dish.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 25–30 depending on size 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Easy
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces. (When you buy the squash try to find one with more flesh and a very small ball).
- 1 small onion thinly sliced.
- 62.5 ml (5 Tbs.) olive oil, divided.
- 250 ml (1 cup) dried craisins
- 375 ml / 180g (1 1/2 cups) uncooked large pearl Israeli couscous
- 750 ml (3 cups) water
- 25 ml (2 Tbs) apple cider vinegar
- Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground coriander
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground nutmeg
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 large can / 540 ml / 19 fl. ounces drained garbanzo beans/chickpeas
- 170 g (6 ounces) Daiya Feta Cheeze
- Place a baking sheet in the middle of the oven and heat to 425°F / 220°C.
- Wash, peel, and cube the butternut squash and thinly slice the onion, and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 25 ml (2 Tbs) of the oil, and then sprinkle with a big pinch of salt, and toss to combine.
- Spread out evenly into a single layer.
- Roast in a pan, and stir every 5-10 minutes, until the squash is tender and the onions barely start to crisp at the tips.
- This should take about 30 minutes. Be careful not to burn the onions.
- Set aside the veggies to cool before combining them with the remainder of the ingredients.
- In the meantime, cover the craisins with boiling hot water and set them aside to plump while the squash is cooking.
- Drain the craisins completely before combining them with the other ingredients.
- Heat 12.5 ml (1 Tbs) of oil in a large and deep saucepan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the raw couscous and cook, stirring constantly, until toasted and turning a light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Time may vary depending on your stove.
- Be cautious as it will burn quickly.
- Add 750 ml (3 cups) fresh water and a big pinch of salt, stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the couscous is tender and plump, ± 10 minutes.
- Give it a stir every now and then to make sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain the cooked couscous in a strainer and get rid of all the remaining liquid.
- In a small container whisk together the vinegar, remaining 25 ml (2 Tbs) of oil, zest, coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, and 2.5 ml (½ tsp) of salt.
- Pour the sauce out into your serving dish and add the cold baked squash, onions, couscous, drained garbanzo beans, and drained cranberries.
- Lightly stir to combine all the ingredients with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with ½ to ¾ of the crumbled Vegan feta and gently fold it into the salad.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add the remaining Fetta over the top of the salad.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.
I have adapted the original recipe to make it vegan and made some changes to some of the ingredients as I did not have everything on hand so substituted it with something similar.
My husband and all the family loved this salad and already asked that I make it again, so this is a winner and keeper in my books.
What do you think?
Prepared, tried, and tested by Esme Slabs from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs; SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes and EsmeSalon Homemade Recipes
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 152.1 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.2 g
- Fiber: 2.1 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 6.1 mg
Keywords: Butternut Salad Vegan Pearl Couscous
More Delicious Couscous Recipes to Try out
We have linked up with Homestead Blog Hop, 4 Beautiful, Affordable Dish Designs for Thanksgiving
Thanks a bunch for swinging by!
If you whip up this delightful recipe, drop me a line, rate it, and don’t forget to tag me on @_esmesalon on Instagram. I’m on the lookout for your amazing recreations, and I just can’t get enough of those mouthwatering pics!
Let’s not lose touch – sign up for my newsletter, and I’ll deliver scrumptious, foolproof recipes right to your inbox. And hey, why not join the party on Pinterest, Instagram, and Threads? I’d love to connect with you there and share our foodie adventures!
And guess what? If you’re looking for a fantastic tried-and-true recipe book, swing by the shop and feast your eyes on our collection of excellent Recipe eBooks. They make for a perfect treat for yourself or a food-loving friend!