Try these Easy Potato Koeksisters (Soda Water) as it’s a delicious twist on the traditional South African treat, with an extra light texture!
I’m super excited as I finally made these Schweppes Soda water Koeksisters, they have an extra-light texture and are yummy.
- 3 cups Self Raising flour
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp fine ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 tsp heaped aniseed
- 1 tsp fine cinnamon
- 1 tsp naartjie peel
- 1 pkg instant yeast 10g
Remainder of ingredients
- 3 potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup Schweppes Soda water
- Dash of salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 jumbo eggs or 3 x-large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 200ml milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Boil together the potatoes and mash until smooth while still hot.
- Add the Schweppes Soda water and pinch salt.
- Take care that you have one cup of soda water liquid when the potatoes are soft and done.
- Then continue to add the butter, eggs, and sugar.
- Whisk it with a hand beater and add milk.
- Add the above already mixed dry ingredients and form a soft dough.
- Add oil to the palm of the hand and mix well.
- Lightly oil the top of the dough and cover it with plastic wrap or the lid of the bowl.
- Place in a warm place to double in size for one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into two sausages.
- Cut into equal size portions and shape like a koeksister.
- Leave on a floured surface to double in size for about 10 minutes, lifting the koeksister gently with a palette knife.
- Fry in moderately heated oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Take care that the oil is moderately hot as you do not want the koeksister to absorb oil.
- Drain on absorbent paper and allow it to cool.
- Dip koeksister in sugar syrup over low heat.
- Roll in coconut.
NB: Koeksister can be frozen for up to 3 months before the syrup. Thaw at room temperature and sugar as normal.
- Allow simmering over low heat until syrupy.
Prepared, tried, and tested by Feriel from The Recipe Hunter: Tried and Tested Recipes from Home Chefs and SA Tasty Recipes – Saffas Daily Recipes
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 101
- Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 117.5 mg
- Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 1.8 g
- Cholesterol: 7.3 mg
Keywords: Potato Koeksisters
We invite you to join our FB Group and share your own homemade recipes and I will then showcase your recipe and picture with credit to you on the blog.