As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A classic red velvet layer cake made soft with buttermilk, so do have a go at this Easy Red Velvet Cake
This makes one round cake, to make a double-layered cake, double the batter
- 125g of Rama margarine.
- 250g castor sugar.
- 2 eggs.
- 200g cake flour.
- 25g cocoa powder.
- 1 tsp baking powder.
- 125ml buttermilk.
- 20ml red food colouring.
In a bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together, till fluffy.
Add one egg at a time and whisk for a couple of seconds between each egg.
Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl and sift the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
In a separate bowl, mix the food colouring and the buttermilk together.
Add this wet mixture to the egg mixture.
Gently fold all the ingredients into each other, till everything is nicely mixed.
Pour into a greased 20cm cake pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cook in the tin for 15 minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Cream cheese icing
- 250g of room temperature cream cheese.
- 250g of room temperature Rama margarine.
- 1 tsp vanilla essence.
- 500g icing sugar.
Cream the margarine till light and fluffy.
Add the cream cheese and mix well.
Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
Add the sifted icing sugar and mix well till everything is well combined.
* I halved my icing and coloured one half pale pink while I left the other plain. When I iced the cake I added blobs of pink icing and then ran the icing smoother around the cake.
* I then took a sharp-pointed spatula and stuck it in the icing and turned the table round and round creating a funky design around the cake. I repeated the method on the top of the cake.
* When I was done, I sprinkled pink and white stars over and around the cake.
Prepared, tried and tested by: Bobby Swanson
3 thoughts on “Easy Red Velvet Cake”
Reblogged this on The Militant Negro™.