As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
3 Bean Vegan and Quinoa Dish for all the family, vegan and meatlovers to enjoy
We usually prepare the same dish, but in one pan will use regular ground beef and in the second one we will have vegan ground meat.
Use 1/3 of all the following ingredients for the regular mince and 2/3 for the vegan mince.
- 1 packet (2½ cups) quinoa
- 4 cups of water
Prepare as per package directions.
- 1 small tin tomato paste
- 1 tin haricot beans
- 2 tins tomato and onion mix
- 1 tin white kidney beans
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- ±500ml red wine (anything you prefer for cooking)
- 2 heaped teaspoons minced garlic
- Red pepper or chili powder. You can use anything you like.
If you prefer you can first start with 2 large onions, cut up and fry it in olive oil, then continue, but today we did not use it.
- Mix the tomato paste, beans and tomato and onion mix together in a HUGE pot and mix well together.
- In fact, we decided to use 2 large pans, as it’s easier to work with due to the flat bottom of the pans.
- Start cooking this on medium heat (3 gas mark)
- Rinse out all the tins with some wine, to ensure you get all the goodness out of the tins.
- Do not strain and rinse away the thick goodness from the beans, use it as part of your dish.
- This to me is the rich flavor, and you do not want to discard all the yumminess.
- Let it simmer and reduce the liquid.
- This will take ± 1½ hours on a very low to moderate heat setting.
- Stir it often and mix or the beans will sink to the bottom and tend to stick and burn.
- Add the quinoa and mix well***
- Then add some red pepper or chili for extra flavor, just enough to enhance the flavor.*-*
- Cook for another 10-20 minutes, but do not overcook at this stage as the quinoa will go mushy.
- We ended up combining all in a pressure cooker pot with a good sealing lid (nice large pot) as we had to transport it to the party site and did not want any spills in the car.
Upon arrival, we emptied the contents in a crockpot to keep it warm for the guests to enjoy.
*** We ended using approximately ½ of what we made, and kept the rest for something else tomorrow. Just ♥ quinoa. (So watch this space for more recipes using quinoa).
*-* You can add any other spices of your choice. Remember we made this for our 4-year-old grandson’s vegan birthday party get-together, so we did not go wild on strong flavoring ingredients.
It’s yummy as is, and many non-vegan party-goers said to us if this is vegan, then they are prepared to go vegan as well! ♥
Fully vegan and no soy used due to allergy reasons.
Tried this recipe?
Mention @_EsmeSalon or tag #shareEScare
Prepared, tried, and tested, own creation by Esme Slabs’ husband
Updated: March 21. 2020
4 thoughts on “3 Bean Vegan and Quinoa Dish”
Looks so good:) Found your blog through Dolly’s reposts. Got yourself another follower. Look forward to exploring your site.
Mwah, thank you Jo, thanks for following – Also just browsing your site as we speak. I will be following you as well. You have some awesome stuff going. <3
An absolute pleasure. Thank you so much for reciprocating 🙂
My Motto: Sharing is Caring <3